June 25, 2009

The Rivers Run Dry

Thank you, Thomas Nelson Publishing, for another free book. Living here in another continent means I don't get them as quickly as their normal blogging crew, but I enjoy them nonetheless when they arrive! This one is called the rivers run dry, by Sibella Giorello. Thankfully, Paraguay provided me with a couple rainy days, when the third-world shuts down and everyone curls up with a blanket and a good book. Well, not everyone, but I sure did!

This book was a mystery of sorts, with a very believable heroine named Raleigh Harmon. I identified with Raleigh on several points, not the least of which was as a Southern woman displaced from her cultural roots. The plot of this twister unfolded slowly enough to keep me guessing, but not so slowly that I got bored. Raleigh is an FBI agent working on a couple of criminal cases and her own personal woes, all the while adjusting to a new life far from home.

I liked how real Raleigh seemed, with flaws and skeletons in the closet, and how the story told in the first person revealed Raleigh's personality and point-of-view. I also liked how the plot developed in an unpredictable way. I had some clues to the bad guys, but not too early, and not as a definite thing.

This is classified as Christian fiction, but Raleigh's faith isn't an overt thing. No one's throwing a lot of religious cliches around or acting holier-than-thou, which I appreciated. I got the feeling that the main character's faith stabilized her often chaotic life, but I never had to read those words, per se. This is apparently the second novel with the same Raleigh Harmon, so hopefully there are more to come. Any of you southern belles get a chance, spend a couple rainy days with this one!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to look it up. : ) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Sarah Beth
    "The Other Side"

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got a chance to read a good book! :)
    I'm off to look up where you live exactly in Paraguay!
    Blessings,
    Shilo

    ReplyDelete

Wanna leave a comment? Be nice, please, and if you can't, at least leave your email address...