February 2, 2011

Che, Nde, Ha'e, ...

Six hours a day. Aw, that's not so much to spend in school, right? But how about in the same class? Could you handle 6 hours of algebra, or 6 hours of chemistry, or 6 hours of English? In this case, it's a benefit much more than a liability, because we're focusing on all different aspects of learning the Guarani language throughout the day. The only down part is that when I make it back to my house in the evening and start on my homework, I need 6 more hours to review the previous 6 hours and figure out what I've learned. I don't exactly have that sort of free time, meaning I'm soaking up whatever I can during the class hours, processing what I can remember without looking during the moto ride home, and then diving into my notes when I get to the house. It's super fun! I'm finally figuring out the why's and how's of this elusive indigenous language.

Andy Bowen is a remarkable teacher. He's tailored this class to the abilities of the three students, a difficult task considering that the other two are a good bit farther along than I am. Not only am I learning things I can use right away, but he's teaching us skills we can continue to use in everyday interactions and conversations. Things that will help us to keep learning and actively pursuing the language even after the classes end. I've not been able to hang with the neighbors and friends as often as normal, since our schedule is a bit mixed up, but I can't wait to start putting this into everyday use.

I am trying to work my nerve up to carry along a camera while I'm on the motorcycle, and snap some shots for you of the beautiful scenes we pass each morning and afternoon. Yesterday afternoon, the rain that had steadily fallen all day stopped just as I prepared to get on the motorcycle. It cooled off the temperatures nicely, and this morning it was still chilly. We rode in the light of the sunrise until we got closer to the hills, and then there were white mists snaking in and out of the little mountains. It was just beautiful. Maybe I can figure out a way to duct-tape the camera to my hand and get a few pictures for you tomorrow. For now, my homework is calling....

1 comment:

  1. Boy! What adventures you're having! I've missed a few days, and look what I missed! Best of all, glad to see Ken's starting to feel like his old self! Praise the Lord! We'll be praying for you as you study and as your tooth gets taken care of. I'm proud of you for studying Guarani! It's SO hard! Keep up the good work! You'll enjoy talking more to your neighbors for sure! Well, take care and God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna leave a comment? Be nice, please, and if you can't, at least leave your email address...