March 9, 2013

Jewelry for Jesus?

Sometimes God just drops an evangelism opportunity in my lap. Sometimes folks just come out and ask me questions about my faith.  Sometimes a medical miracle or an unexpected blessing in a government office offers me the chance to testify of God's goodness.  And sometimes it's helpful to get a bit more creative.

Enter Ana Lucia, a missionary from Brazil who has some pretty handy skills.  She plays instruments and makes artsy stuff, to name a few.  She was invited to teach jewelry-making in a small neighborhood. and she invited me along to share a Bible lesson.

While the women and girls (and that one brave boy who had some real talent) took out little butter containers and organized their string and colored beads, I talked to them about the Lamb of God and why Jesus' sacrifice was enough to open the way to the Father.

I love this sort of work--I still struggle with calling something I love so much, something so fun, work.  But I do love the type of outreach that speaks to the whole person. Spiritual food, friendship building, learning something that will contribute to the financial well-being of their families.  Each person had made a sort of display case and sells what they make to neighbors or folks in town.

After listening to the Bible lesson, we all worked on making a ring or a necklace or a bracelet or a keychain dangly thing.  The time around the table gave us the chance to chat about what they'd just heard, about the best way to thread the little beads, about life in Paraguay, about their homes and families and dreams.

We laughed over silly jokes and word plays and oohed and aahed over what the kids were making.  And they were kind enough to encourage me that with practice, I won't drop the beads from my suddenly clumsy fingers and will be able to make things as lovely as theirs.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna leave a comment? Be nice, please, and if you can't, at least leave your email address...