October 9, 2008

Playgroup Reunion

When I first moved to the upstate area 7 years ago, my sister-in-law invited me to a playgroup meeting of local moms. This was my first exposure to "Mom time" while the kids played, and I was hooked! The group was full of some really Godly women who were either going through whatever I was or had been there, done that. They were a huge help to me in so many areas of my life at the time--as a Christian, a mother, a wife, a homeschooling mom, a budding nutritionist, whatever. I looked forward to getting together with these gals every Thursday, and we kept up with it for several years, until the demands of homeschooling and other duties necessitated our "drop-out" of the playgroup. Until today. :)

This morning, we had a playgroup reunion/going away party and reconnected with a few our old pals, and met some new ones. (Thanks, Connie, for hosting this at your lovely home.) It was so great to see some of the ladies who played such an important part in my life and in the lives of my girls. Strong women who made me feel normal--okay, I've never really been normal, but they did make me feel like I wasn't a freak for choosing to raise our daughters differently than the norm. Today was no different. They encouraged us and promised their prayers. They gave me some precious gifts. They reminded me why I missed them so much after we could no longer make our weekly get-togethers. They brought along their wonderful children who made great role models and playmates for the girls after we moved to this new town. God bless these women who are still reaching out to each other and to families in their world, as they have blessed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna leave a comment? Be nice, please, and if you can't, at least leave your email address...