January 3, 2009

And the Loser is... JUICE!

I have found some relief, thank the Lord! I stumbled onto some information (I say stumbled, but I'm sure God had it arranged) that was the missing piece in my sleep puzzle. First of all, we're taking a heads-up approach to the spiritual atmosphere out here. I'm also remaining aware of culture shock symptoms and recommendations for dealing with it. I still felt like there was a physical side I couldn't put my finger on, though, and didn't really think it was anxiety or panic. I was fixing some snacks and juice for some guests yesterday and poured the mburucuya juice. My friend asked if I like it, and I told her I've been drinking it by the gallons. She said she used to drink it too, until she was sent to the ER one night with chest tightness and lightheadedness, and was told that her blood pressure was too low. Turns out, the mburucuya is known to reduce blood pressure. Well, mine is ALWAYS low (90/60 even in labor) and I've had trouble with fainting spells, dizziness, etc. my whole life. The last thing I need is LOWER bp. And the symptoms definitely fit what was happening to me: chest tightness, dizziness, confusion, shortness of breath, headache, severe fatigue, trouble swallowing. Sounds like a page out of my diary!

I hadn't drunk any Thursday b/c I never got around to making it, and I slept well that night. Yesterday, I was just starting to drink my first glass when she said that, so I changed my mind. I slept like a baby last night. It could all be a coincidence, but I sure feel worlds better, except for the knowledge that my new favorite juice is off-limits now. Ugh. I'll trade it anyday for a good night's sleep, though!


1 comment:

  1. So glad you found the "culprit" of your sleeplessness ! Everything seems much brighter and easier after a good nights sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna leave a comment? Be nice, please, and if you can't, at least leave your email address...