February 13, 2009

Fun in the Fiat

This morning's visit to the hospital for my bloodwork didn't pan out like expected, but it had some fun moments. The hospital was REALLY crowded, with the line wrapping outside the door and onto the front patio, as today is the day for pregnancy ultrasounds. This was sad to me because the girls in line around me were so young, and some already carried small babies or young children. The lady at the window told me (after I waited forever in the line) to return tomorrow and I'd have a chance at getting an appointment again.

My handy friend Freddy accompanied me for his translation skills, which is where the fun came in. We're always teasing Freddy (recently turned 21) about finding a good Christian wife, so when we saw the long line, I told him to be on the lookout for a gal. He already knew what these girls were lining up for, so he didn't find my joke funny at all. I didn't get it until I read the signs inside the building.

Well, we had to drive the not-so-reliable Fiat--did I mention that it shuts off randomly, with no warning at all? It did that about a thousand times there and back, each time causing Freddy to cheer and make fun of me. I kept pointing out to him that it wasn't my faulty driving causing the problem. I finally just told him that the car was from the devil, and he agreed. I have to admit, the little car handled the giant mudholes on our road better than I expected. Some of them are so huge that I thought they'd swallow the little car and no one would know WHERE we disappeared to until the next dry spell, but the Fiat held its own.

Somewhere along the trip, Freddy decided he should maybe put on his seatbelt, but confessed he'd never used one before. I tried not to giggle as he looped it around his neck and through one arm. So I showed him how I was wearing mine. He managed to get his hooked up, then proceeded to tell me it was useless because it had so much slack. I don't have to tell you what I did next. Yep. I slammed on brakes in the middle of the road (I did look in the rearview mirror to be sure no one was behind me....) Then I explained that it only catches if the brakes are applied firmly. Freddy thought this was just the greatest thing and asked me to hit the brakes at least 5 more times before we got back home. Then he told me he'd like to learn to drive if we have time to teach him. I think I'd better defer that one to Ken, for Freddy's sake! ;)


1 comment:

  1. What a fun day! Maybe you won't want to give up the Fiat when the time comes! Good luck with that and with your tests. Have a nice weekend and a Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna leave a comment? Be nice, please, and if you can't, at least leave your email address...