April 26, 2011

The Written Word

I really like decorating a house, and I really love paint in nice, rich colors. I have tried to put my signature in each place we live, to make our home a cozy place that feels like it fits our personality. Something that has always made an impression on me when decorating is chapter 11 of Deuteronomy, verses 18-21.

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the Lord swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.


I really like the idea of having the Word in visible places in my house--not just the actual book, the Bible, but the WORDS. So here's a sampling of my latest work in our new dwelling. Before anyone fusses at me, I only painted the parts I could reach, then I got out of the way and let those who are allowed to stand for long periods of time and climb ladders, to finish the wall painting. Then I came behind and did the words a little at a time as I could. All good.... :)

This is one corner of our living room. Below is the entrance, which says in Spanish, "You will be blessed when you come in, and blessed when you go out. Deut 28:6" Upon reading this, one of our neighbors went in and out several times to "get as many blessings as possible." It was his first time to read that scripture, so we just grinned at his interpretation.


This scripture says "God is the portion of my inheritance, ...and the heritage he's given me is beautiful. Psalms 15:5-6" The photos in the frames are different shots of our family.


This isn't actually spiritual at all (unless you count the times we read the Bible while sitting on "the throne"), but I couldn't resist showing my mother-in-law how we're using the shower curtain she sent us. It is exciting to be living in a house again that has a real bathroom, with enough space for a real shower and a real shower curtain. The little things mean a lot sometimes. Thanks, Meemaw--it matches just fine!

2 comments:

  1. Your house is starting to look like a home! Congratulations! I love the scriptures on the walls. Thanks for the peek! (Will we get to see anything else?!) Have a blessed day--and don't do too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful guys!!! Hope you're settling in and getting to know the kids!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna leave a comment? Be nice, please, and if you can't, at least leave your email address...