September 15, 2010

What I See

Driving around Asuncion is always a bit tough for me, because it's so sad to see all the homeless, beggars, and street kids. I have to resist the urge to open the door and grab them up to take them home with us. I thought I'd wax eloquent and share the details, but pictures sometimes speak louder than words. Sorry for the poor quality, but sometimes a cell phone is the quickest thing I can grab....

We meet these little faces when we stop at red-lights or stop signs.

Aren't their smiles just irresistable? We try to give them food instead of money, since most of them are "working" for a nearby, hidden adult. A banana gets a much bigger smile than a coin.

Homeless people living in a park downtown.

This little guy was selling lottery tickets. I'd guess he's about 4-5 years old. He didn't seem homeless to me, but he and a few other little fellas his size were selling lottery tickets in a parking lot. I always try to say a quick prayer for each one, but there are just so many.... Thank you, God, that the closest things to this my children have had to survive are homework and chores. We are so blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Tough stuff ! - and so difficult to find that balance in it all.
    I got a copy of the book Brenda recommended - "When helping hurts - How to alleviate poverty without hurting the poor and yourself. "
    Its really really helpful and deals with things we are all coming across here in paraguay.
    Just to re recommend it to you guys.

    ReplyDelete

Wanna leave a comment? Be nice, please, and if you can't, at least leave your email address...